Behind the Scenes: Belladonna Cove | Episode 4.2

Lana fighting an invisible foe!

So, first thing's first: Lana's makeover?

I checked Lana's interests and then her One True Hobby, and I noticed that she has a high interest in Environment (when I couldn't decide which top to go for, I decided on green, so yeah) and that she loves Sports. I suspected that she was a sporty gal since she was boxing the air or shooting imaginary balls at an imaginary hoop. But I really wanted to change her appearance because I felt that her top (a really cute top!) was better suited for Autumn. I can see that other townies need to be tweaked as well (for example, the second pianist who walked away from Sally) but I'm concentrating on the apartment residents for now.

Also, while we're still speaking about Lana and apartment residents, I have to say that I'm kicking myself. Why? That moment when Lana flirted with Dylan? I'm so bummed that I missed the start of that interaction! Normally, I keep recording while I’m waiting for my sims to get home, but I was like, nah, nothing interesting’s going to happen and I have enough footage of Vivian bonding (and disagreeing) with Lana and Dylan, but what happens? Yeah, I zoomed out, waiting for Sally to arrive, and then I noticed how Lana was interacting with Dylan. It caught my eye in an instant!

For some viewers (and simmers) the apartment residents don't matter. I've always been the type of reader and TV series consumer who loves to see what the background/supporting characters are doing. I love getting titbits of their lives as well as knowing their likes and dislikes. I feel that that information adds so much to the story, makes the story feel more alive. Because characters (people) don't live in a bubble. (Well, in real life, there are people who are basically hermits in a city - lost in a hive of activity.) People connect with others, create bonds, and I want my sims to do exactly that. 

I loved it that Lana flirted with Dylan, that Dylan's still reacting (farting hearts, as I like to call it) to Vivian, and that Vivian's so enamoured with Timothy. 

Then, about Timothy, let's speak about the Riley family. I like it that Father and Daughter stay up late, enjoy pizza and take turns to perform on-stage in the park. I like it that they go out together - I really want them to go Cratus Gym in the next part. Part of me wants more Vivian and Etsu, since they're a big presence in this section of the series, but I keep reminding myself that we're getting to know Timothy and Sally. Getting to know them as a Father and Daughter duo.

Because I think seeing them as duo before the (inevitable?) marriage between Timothy and Vivian happens is important. I feel it will help me craft Sally's story because her bio stated: "Will she be open to new members of the family?" Right now, I would say yes. Sally's BFFs with Vivian, even before becoming BFFs with her dad, and she's close with Etsu. So, she likes them. So, I would say that she's open to new members.

But do I just leave her story at that?

I mentioned in this episode that Sally will probably see Timothy, Vivian and Etsu bonding over music and then get jealous (and that she could get estranged from them). So I would say that Sally's all for new family members - she now has a younger sister! - but then they're all under one roof and that's when Sally can't handle sharing Timothy. Because she enjoyed the late nights, the pizza, and being the centre of attention.

I can see that happening - Sally being jealous, anxious, annoyed - but do I want to manufacture that type of drama? Because Sally's genuinely getting along with the Cho ladies. 

That's the big question I'm trying to sort through right now. That storyline will be for season 2, so I have more than enough time to figure things out. But the following will probably happen: months will pass and then you'll hear me panicking because I didn't figure things out.

Comments

Popular Posts